This is 18-year-old Seth Mersing from Orange Grove, Texas, and his beloved 3-year-old doggo, Rita Mersing. This family went viral when their Chihuahua ate an edible and the story followed.

How this Chihuahua ate an edible by accident
How this Chihuahua ate an edible by accident

He told BuzzFeed News that he was walking Rita in the park on Sunday afternoon when she began eating something on the ground.

Seth Mersing and his Chihuahua
Seth Mersing and his Chihuahua

Seth said that he wasn’t really paying attention to what she was eating. But around 30 minutes later, Rita started to act strangely. Seth said he began to freak out because he didn’t know what was wrong with her.

How the Chihuahua Ate the Edible

Later that night, Rita started to lose consciousness, and that’s when Seth and his parents decided to take her to the veterinarian.

After doing a drug and urine test, Seth said the vet told him that Rita had tested positive for THC aka marijuana.

Seth Mersing holding his Chihuahua
Seth Mersing holding his Chihuahua

“Since how tiny she was, she found I’m guessing a wrapper with the THC wax or an actual edible,” Seth told BuzzFeed News in a message on Facebook. “Dogs don’t know what they find!”

A staff member at the VCA Oso Creek ( https://vcahospitals.com/oso-creek ) Animal Hospital and Emergency Center confirmed to BuzzFeed News that Rita tested positive for THC and was kept at the hospital overnight.

Get the latest Chihuahua Buzz

Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to read Chihuahua heartwarming stories, expert tips, and cute images of these lovely pups.

She had detoxification done and an IV placed in her, Seth said.

After the vet told Seth that Rita was going to be okay, he began to take videos of her in the hospital. On Tuesday, Seth tweeted this clip of a very stoned Rita that has since gone massively viral.

“Woaaaaahhhhhh” —Rita, probably.

Seth Mersing and his tripping Chi
Seth Mersing and his tripping Chi

Seth said that Rita was soon doing just fine and is now back to normal.

Rita the Chihuahua after her vet visit
Rita the Chihuahua after her vet visit

And while the video of an intoxicated Rita might be hysterical, the side effects of marijuana can be dangerous and make your pet feel miserable, according to vets.

In severe cases, it can cause tremors, seizures, and comas, vet Lynn Buzhardt said wrote in a VCA blog post.

“Fortunately, these side effects are usually short-lived,” and “marijuana intoxication is seldom fatal,” Buzhardt wrote.

Seth told BuzzFeed News that it was sad that some people were accusing him of making Rita high.

“In reality, a dog is a child to me and I will spend however much money to get her the help I would an actual baby,” he said.


You May Also Like

Why Are Chihuahuas So Aggressive? An In-Depth Exploration

When I was ready to adopt a dog from a shelter I…

Shaking Chihuahua Rescued from Puppy Mill

Claire Stokoe found a photo on Facebook of a tiny Chihuahua with…

The Night Griffy Found Love: From a Bar to a Forever Home

A Heartwarming Tale of Rescue and Unbreakable Bonds. One night, while we…

Meet Pearl – The Shortest Dog: A 3.59 Inch Chihuahua

Meet Pearl, a Chihuahua who has claimed the title of the shortest…